Wednesday, August 08, 2007

'Of course he did it against the Nationals'

At least that's what one Peter Krauss wrote on my facebook wall tonight after Barry Bonds hit his 756th homerun against the Natties tonight. BUT the Nationals did win the game 8-6 which was awesome, but I'm pretty sure in the long run nobody will ever care what the score actually was.

Personally, I was absolutely dreading all this homerun record business. I really did not want this record broken against my Nationals. But deep down inside I had a feeling. Washington sports writers began hinting at the possibility of Barry breaking the record against the Nats about a week ago. Since the Nats rarely get on national television and I rarely get to see them regularly, I was bent on watching most of these game. I have to admit that it felt pretty cool seeing all this unfold. I will probably lock this memory in my brain for the rest of my life. Think about how many times you've seen that Hank Aaron homerun over the years and you'll realize how many times this homerun will be replayed. And Aaron's homer happened before the days of ESPN. In 100 years this homerun will be relived to generations in the future.


I couldn't resist going with the old school Pirates Bonds.

And it should properly be remembered for some really weird and awkward moments. Don't get me wrong, it was historic. But it just didn't feel right at times. For instance, what was with Barry coming out to play left field after hitting the homer, but then turning around and going back to the bench. I mean I guess it was nice that he got another ovation. To me, it felt like Barry going, "Fuck it. I'm done. Record is broken." And I wish he would walk away giving the press box the finger. Oh man I would love if that was true. That would be awesomely badass and would totally make Bonds so much more epic as time wears on. At first, people would kill him, but in the grand scheme of things it would go down as the greatest exit ever. Only in my dreams I guess.

The night was mainly about Bonds, but I still can't ignore the out of the blue Hank Aaron appearance on the jumbotron. Why would you be so non-commital in interviews about your feelings concerning the record? ANd then have this dramatic jumbotron re-appearance after being silent for so long. This is going to sound strange but I'm going to explain this in pro wrestling terms. Hank Aaron was like that wrestler who would dramatically come back after being out from being "buried alive" 8 months earlier (In reality the guy probably just got surgery or something). And this pro wrestler would come interfere in some big title match at a huge pay per view or something. Hank Aaron was on hiatus from the public and then came back for the big pay perview.

The very fact I just compared Hammerin Hank to pro wrestling just shows how overly dramatic and just plain strange that appearance was. It almost felt like Hank was God because he was just showering praise from up above in the sky, on the holy jumbotron. Weird.


On the left is Chris Jericho, may favorite wrestler back in the day. If you've ever seen his band Fozzy, you'd understand. I'm not sure if they are still together anymore though.

No comments: