Sunday, August 05, 2007

Michigan football at NFL Training Camps

If you want to get a quick read on what each NFL team is going to look like this season, I highly recommend heading over to SI.com where their training camp postcards are money in the bank. I stumbled upon a couple interesting notes since I've been reading them the past few days:

First off, it sounds like Jason Avant could actually get some legitimate playing time this year:

"Eagles fans last year fell hard for rookie receiver Hank Baskett, who turned into a legitimate big-play threat as the season wore on. But this year's fantasy sleeper could be second-year receiver Jason Avant, a fourth-round pick in 2006. Avant injured a knee during mini-camp last year and saw action in just eight games during the regular season, catching seven passes for 68 yards and a touchdown.

"Avant is a slot receiver, and he's in competition with Baskett for playing time in the No. 3 receiver role. But he took a big step in his development this offseason, and the Eagles are high on the former Michigan standout. He has great hands, and while not a burner, could make himself a valuable possession-type receiver in the Eagles offense."


I would never show a picture of Avant in an Eagles' jersey. NEVER! I hope he has a breakthrough season, but if he does anything in their two games against the Skins, he will be on my shitlist...no question about it.


And Peter King seems to think Leon Hall's transition to the NFL is going well:

"I think if you are looking for an impact rookie who will be ready to play opening day on the Bengals, you're looking at smooth-as-silk cornerback Leon Hall, the top pick from Michigan. Watching him cover on the practice field this morning, I thought I was looking at a fifth-year pro, not a rookie in his fifth pro practice. He looks confident and will compete with Deltha O'Neal for the starting job, opposite last year's first-round pick, Johnathan Joseph. Joseph is out with a foot injury right now, but the Bengals expect him to be ready to start the season."

I'm supposed to be at Hofstra this week to get a look at the Jets in training camp. If I make it out there, I'll definitely get some interesting stuff and I'm going to make sure to talk to David Harris and Victor Hobson, both former Wolverines. My goal, though, is to have some wildly hilarious conversation with some bench warmer who doesn't usually talk with the media. We'll see how that works out.

No comments: