Monday, June 16, 2008

Bar trend re-emerges

So as anyone who attended Michigan with me knows, there's a set bar schedule for pretty much every day of the night — atleast amongst my friends. There was Mitch's on Mondays, Skeeps on Tuesday, Jug or nothing on Wednesday's, Rick's on Thursday, Rick's/wildcard on Friday, Skeeps then Ricks on Saturday, and lastly the Jug on Sundays.

And judging from my few visits to other schools, that's also a pretty prevalent trend throughout the country. But I always thought the reason we had such a set schedule in Ann Arbor was due to there being relatively few bars in the area. It just made more sense to have set days because it was so easy to identify exactly where to go.


It's kind of sad that I miss it so much so soon.

But now I'm thinking it's more and more just how I live my life, whether I agree with it or not. Judging from my bar attendance last summer and during the beginnings of this summer, attending a set number of bars is just how I seem to operate. Myself, Greg and Graham noticed this the other night while watching TV. We're really starting to just populate in one area of New York.

It's that area right around Murray Hill, where all my friends seem to be moving into. That would appear to be the reason why this is occurring. But even within that area, it feels like we go to the same few places all the time. There's Banc, Joshua Tree, Sutton Place, and of course the legendary bring back the glory days locale, Brother Jimmy's (remind me if I missed any others).

Basically, in a city with over 20,000 bars and restaurants, I probably named all but one or two of the bars I'm likely to attend frequently this summer. All of these places that I named are basically in the same exact location. Weird ... yes. But the more and more I think about it, the more and more it makes me happy that I'm atleast attempting to replicate college. I think over three weeks, I've really discovered that the real world is not all it's cracked up to be, and I'd much rather be lifeguarding at the beach.

No comments: