Friday, June 27, 2008

Ball boy tryouts

As you may have noticed, there was no post yesterday, but I had a good reason. ON assignment for the New York Sun, I tried out to become a ball boy at this year's U.S. Open. Then I got to write about it and even got my picture in the newspaper.

I'm proud to say this is the second time my beautiful mug has graced the pages of a newspaper, excluding all those columns in the Daily. I don't think those really count. If you're curious the other time was in the Potomac Almanac after a tri meet against Wheaton and Wooton during my senior year wrestling season in high school. Of course I remember every little detail of that.

But if you read the column I don't think you get the full effect of what the tryout was like. This woman who was the assistant director of ball persons for the U.S. Open worked me hard. I basically did sprints for close to three minutes straight, which while not extremely difficult, was definitely more than I expected. I then had to show off my sterling arm by throwing across the court a bunch, rapid fire style. Afterwards, she told me I was good enough to make the next cut of ball boys.


Apparently this is also what ball boys have to do because that's the uniform they wear

She thought I wasn't taking this seriously, but I tried my best to make sure she knew I wanted to be in the Open. I'm really hoping I get a call for the next round of tryouts because working the Open would be sweet (and a great blogging opportunity, too). Luckily, I got to try out with a bunch of media people, and not at the public tryouts later in the day, where it was basically 90 percent 14-year-old kids. I fell like that would have been embarrassing, trying out with a bunch of teenagers.

Also another perk is that Polo is a sponsor of the Open, so yesterday I got two free shirts right off the bat. And I'm assuming if I make the Open I'll get even more Polo swag. Cheers to media perks everyone.

I'll hopefully keep you updated on this, because the call back interviews are in two weeks. Let the Mark for ball boy campaign begin.

No comments: