Monday, October 29, 2007

Close Call at Mudbowl

So I realize I haven't posted in awhile, but I have a semi-legitimate excuse for it. Last week happened to be the busiest I've had in quite some time. There were papers to be written, work to be done for the Daily, a Spring Break trip to be planned, and most importantly it was the week leading into Mudbowl. And if you know me, you'd know how seriously I take Mudbowl and everything that comes along with it.

And unlike past years, where we absolutely demolished the competition, this year Beta came to play. Although we were playing without our starting QB, I was still expecting a somewhat lobsided score given our dominant defense and awesome offensive schemes. But then our second-strong QB, Matt Klein, went down with a knee injury in the first half, and it almost forced us to play a pledge in the second half. Luckily, Klein sucked it up and led us to victory, 18-12, in what will go down as the closest, most tense Mudbowl in years.

I'm not talking close, but not really close. This one was in doubt until the final seconds ticked off the clock. So close that Beta should have tied the game on the second to last play of the game, but their receiver dropped what would have definitely been a TD.



That being said, I'm still leaving the University of Michigan with an unblemished 4-0 record in the mud. I really think this year's win may have been the most impressive because our backs were against the wall, we were shellshocked from being in a close game, and yet when it came down to it, we answered the bell and executed when it counted. Graham had an incredible catch to score and keep us stabilized in the first half. Klein ran with what is probably a torn ACL in the second half, and even scored the game winner. I don't think London Fletcher could have done a better job than Chod did at LB...and that's saying a lot coming from a Skins fan.

I've been telling everyone involved that I was happy for the close call. And I defintiely am looking back in retrospect as the winning team. But if we had lost, I'm not sure what sort of mood I'd be in today. Thankfully, I don't have to think like that because a win is a win and I'll take that any day of the week.

It's back to sports from here on out...I may even have another post later tonight. Don't cross your fingers on that, though.

No comments: