Thursday, January 11, 2007

A lot of bit of everything

Have you noticed how many different sports are going on right now? It's the best time of the year for someone like me. It seems like there's a good game every single day of the week. You've got the NFL Playoffs, conference seasons start for college basketball, BCS fallout, NBA basketball, NHL, college hockey, and before we know it Spring Training is going to be here. I found myself wanting to post here, but there was just so much going on in my head, I didn't know how to process it. So to get over this dilemma I'm just going to throw out some of my opinions on what's been going down lately. I'm going to avoid talking about Michigan basketball because I feel somewhat obligated to devote an entire post to the team that seems to consume too much of my life. I feel like it's going to be one of those Peter King Monday morning quarterback rundown columns:

1) This San Diego-New England game is going to be awesome. Think about how much talent and football smarts are going to be on the same field at the same time. I don't have a clue who to pick in this one...not a clue. But when you think about both AFC matchups are unreal. Ravens-Colts is one of those games that I feel will either be a close Indy win or a Ravens blowout. There's no way I see Baltimore winning a close game.

2) Duke basketball is in trouble right now. Their lack of actual talent looks like it's coming back to hurt them. They really have no off-the-wall athleticism that every other perennial power has. No offense, they've got a bunch of white stiffs who are good shooters, but nothing more. In the end, they don't have any NBA-talent except McRoberts. Past Blue Devil squads atleast 2 or 3 guys who you knew would be in the NBA. Meanwhile, Maryland lost tonight too. But I really don't think Terp fans should panic. I think maryland was overlooking this HUrricane team because of that looming home game with the undefeated Clemson Tigers. And I think Clemson is due for a loss in that one. Expect the Terps to bounce back.



3) Wisconsin is legit. No one has touched them this year except Missouri State, and they aren't actually that bad. Ohio State is going to be there in the end as well. They have Elite 8 written all over them.

4) So when I was travelling to Northwestern on Saturday morning, I turned on some Chicago sports talk radio and heard this statement that I think is the absolute truth: "The Bears are the worst 13-3 team ever. No 13-3 team has ever had this many question marks heading into the playoffs." So true, so true.

5) Were any other redskins fans breaking out in a grin when it was announced Tom Coughlin was back for another go around? He has 5-11 disaster written all over him without Tiki.

6) In personal news, I'm right now taking an English class on Jane Austen books. I'm literally in a lecture hall with over 100 people in the class, and I could count less than 10 guys. It's pretty unbelievable.

7) Man, the Wizards just keep on rolling. That team got a win over a damn good Bulls team without Gilbert producing at the elite level. It's really starting to look like a 50+ win season.

8) Alright, you got me. The SEC is better than the Big Ten. Florida abolutely manhandled an Ohio State team that I thought was invicible. That was just a thorough beatdown. I love it how the Gator players came out after the game and were straight up like, "We've seen 4 or 5 teams that were better than the Buckeyes." Yeah it's cocky, but you really can't say anything because they are the national champs. And it's good to see Troy Smith go out on a sour note. I can only hope the Lions use a 4th round pick on him, thereby officially ending his career before it even starts.

9) If you look back at my bowl picks, I was not nearly as good as advertised. Back to the drawing board on that one.

10) Have you looked at the 16 teams that make up the Big East. Top to bottom that conference is just ridiculously loaded. There is not a break in the conference schedule. There really isn't a cupcake on there.

As much as I think I should go outside this weekend it really just isn't going to happen. I have a feeling Saturday and Sunday could go down as two of the best days of sports television in years. There are so many big college basketball conference games, NFL playoff games, and the Wizards are on national television. And for anyone from Churchill High School, isn't it eery how close to Martin Luther King Day all of this gang stuff is happening?

Oh yeah I would include pictures but for some reason my computer won't let me. I'm out

No comments: