Monday, August 11, 2008

Highlights from an amazing interview

They've already linked this at Deadspin, but after reading the whole transcript I couldn't resist posting some of the highlights here. See, Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post interviewed Craig Sager of TNT sidelining duties and brightly colored suits while in Beijing If you thought Sager was a bit of a nut job before, wait until you read some of this.



1) When asked about the dance teams at the Olympic basketball games:

Well, have you seen the Red Foxes? Wait to see them. It's the Lithuanian dance team. The blonds? I don't think you've seen them. You'll notice them. They're hot. No, they're really, REALLY hot. They were very popular in Athens. You know, we're here long days. We got here today at 2, and we'll do a game about a 10:15 start. It's real long day. So our camera guys will focus on the Red Foxes. They even came out and watched them practice before the competition.

Especially, you know me, I have a blond fetish, and you don't find many blonds out here. And so when I found out that the Red Foxes were here, I was very, very pleased. Their dance team, the Chinese dance team, doesn't look to me like they've been together long or they've been trained by a U.S. NBA dance team. And I would know, too, because I married one. I married a Luvabull from the Chicago Bulls.


2) When asked about having to wear normal people clothes, eschewing his pastel-colored suits and ties that NBA fans are accustomed to seeing him wear:

Oh my God! It's terrible! I've got to wear this little vest bib! I'm getting a lot of grief from the NBA players. You know, 'Where's your sport coat, where's your tie?' I mean, it's comfortable, but I wish I could liven it up a little bit. The only thing I can do is have this [belt] and have a matching thong. That's about the only thing I can do. ... Yeah. I brought all sorts of different underwear that match my shirt. That's the only thing I can do.


3) When asked more indepth about his blonde fetish:

Oh no. Everybody knows that. EVERYBODY knows that. Bud Light and blonds. So there's a Hooters here, I went to Hooters the other day in Beijing. I've been to probably 250 Hooters across the country and world. It's the only Hooters I've ever been to that didn't have any Bud Light or blonds. I was very disappointed.


Am I the only one that now has a newfound appreciation for all that is Craig Sager? If you get a chance, you should really take a look at the whole article, where he also riffs on being a mascot at Northwestern and the "Redeem Team" making fun of his non-suit wearing ways at these games.

No comments: