Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Settling into the city

It's been an absurdly phenomenal past couple of days moving into NYC and getting acquainted with the city. I'm staying at the FIT (yes, that's the Fashion Institute of Technology) dorms on 31st street between 9th and 10th avenue. I'm literally two blocks from the mecca of boxing, basketball and what have you, Madison Square Garden. And since I'm such a huge sports fan I literally get tingles everytime I get near a basketball arena, so it's been extremely difficult walking down 8th as I giddily smile the entire time.

Another thing about this place is the expenses. People told me it was expensive but I had no idea how expensive. I went to the oldest bar in New York last night, which serves just light and dark ale, nothing else. From there I went to this sweet jazz club in East Village, and the dude played a jazz version of that Aaliyah song from Doctor Doolittle (the one with Eddie Murphy). And after all was said and done I had spent like 100 bucks and gotten thoroughly blackout.

I thought I would leave you with this: If you've been watching the Cavs-Pistons series on TNT you'll have noticed recent ads for a new movie, 1408, starring Samuel L. Jackson and John Cusack. Now if you've ever lived or been to SAE, you'll know it's located on 1408 Washtenaw in Ann Arbor. And this new movie is a horror movie about a hotel room that is haunted and people never seem to be able to leave the place. The parallels are awesome because I really think I lost a part of my soul over the past two years at 1408 Washtenaw. I think we should use this movie in pledge term, maybe convince the pledges that this movie was based off something SAE.


One of those actors that never really gets any awards, but most movies he's in are pretty solid, especially if you are a romcom person. Oh yeah, and now he could be a part of Iota Beta lore.

No comments: