Sunday, July 06, 2008

Franchising the Hamptons

Like I said in the previous post, I've been real busy as of late covering various happenings around New York City. Also, I was up for a job at the Worldwide Leader, ESPN, and then didn't get it. But it made life a little hectic, what with preparation and then just general nervousness. Apparently I wasn't the right fit, but they said they'd keep the resume on file, whatever that means.

But enough about that, because I was already pissed, and writing about it just makes me more angry.

Happy thoughts are revolving around my visit to the Hamptons this weekend in celebration of 4th of July. Although the weather wasn't the greatest, the beer was still cold and frankly, the Hamptons are the Hamptons. Being there makes you forget about the $9 Coors Lights or the $11 Jack and Cokes. You suck it up, break out the seersucker, and just try to enjoy the general absurdity of so many rich people congregating with their sports cars in one little section of Long Island.


Westhampton Beach

While there, I came up with a possible new business venture, depending on the support I may or may not receive from friends and family. Giannotto's Pizza, Hawaii's "burgeoning" pizza conglomerate started by my uncle, would make a great franchise, especially in the heart of the Hamptons. From visiting the place the past two 4th of July's, it has hit me that for all the coolness and celebrity happenings that go on, visitors long for something a little more casual.

Giannotto's Pizza could fill that void. The rich snobs who live there during the summer would eat up a place that has something quirky like "Established in Hawaii in 2002" on the front sign. While rent would likely be through the roof since it is the Hamptons, you could make up for that with exorbitant prices that all the rich people can afford. That is, if the pizza is good. If you don't have a good product, there's no telling what disaster could happen. An added bonus is that the farms on the outer edges of the Hamptons specialize in tomatoes.


The insides of Giannotto's Pizza in Maui.

I think if you get on the main strip of some town in the Hamptons, and sell pizza by the slice, as well as have a restaurant in the back serving Italian food courtesy of my grandmother's recipes, there's not telling how successful (or unsuccessful) it could be. It's probably a crazy idea, but it is an idea of some kind. If the writing career stalls in the next couple years, maybe I'll revisit this post.

No comments: