Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Guess Who's Back

I know I know, it's been way too long between posts again. But I really felt it was my duty as a college student to enjoy my final welcome week to the fullest extent. I was going to post a little earlier, but then the "Loss that should not be named" happened and I went into a self-induced stupor courtesy of becoming the punch line of sports. But I'm back and I'm ready to talk about the embarassment that was last weekend.

What can you really say? Michigan came out flat, didn't take Appalachian State seriously and then lost. And Lloyd Carr deserves to be fired after something like this, there should be no question about it. Even if Big Blue wins out, meaning a win over Ohio State, a Big Ten title and a BCS bowl game win, this season will forever be recalled as the App State season. Never in the history of Michigan sports has the athletic department been the laughing stock of sports. And yet on Saturday and Sunday I couldn't turn on ESPN without seeing the hedious defeat at The Big House.

Speaking of Michigan Stadium, I don't think I've ever experienced something so eery as 110,000 people in a shocked silence. I think it's been made abundantly clear, especially since I've been a student here at Michigan, that this athletic department is inept and way behind the times. This coming year is poised to be the lowest of the lows for a once mighty school. The basketball team will be lucky to break .500, the hockey team has less talent than it ever has and will be lucky to make the NCAA Tournament, and now the football team is the laughing stock of the coaching world.


I blew this AP photo up big because it pretty much sums up that fateful Saturday afternoon.

And to be honest, I'm really disappointed in the way Michigan students and fans have dealt with this. While the national media serves out all these rumors of Carr's potential demise, most of the people here have sort of accepted the fact that Lloyd should stay on and leave at his leisure. That's just bullshit. Yeah, the athletic department will never actually fire the guy, but if enough of the locals show disgust in what has long since been a deteriorating masterpiece of a football program, then Lloyd Carr will be forced to retire.

It's just hard to fathom, especially with the expectations at Michigan that our team would lose to someone so lowly regarded that the sporting world simply points and laughs. Don't get me wrong, I thought Appalachian State was a solid team, probably better than a good amount of Division 1 schools, but they had no business coming into the Big House and beating the winningest program in college football history.

And frankly I just can't deal with any more disappointment as it concerns the teams I root for. I am counting on this upcoming Skins season to be magical because just like Chris Rock in that stand up special from Constitution Hall in DC (where us Churchill alums graduated):

"I just can't take this shit no more"

I'm for real this time when I say I'm back to blogging on a consistent basis again. No more of this two weeks off bullshit. Hopefully I'll have enough time to get something on here as far as predictions for the upcoming NFL season. I want to do it before the Saints-Colts game, but if it doesn't happen...oh well...it's my blog.

No comments: