Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Real Face of the Yankees

Just finished watching a seven-overtime lacrosse game between Virginia and Maryland. Pretty unbelievable. Although I'm not exactly sure how I stumbled on the game. I was only planning to do this post and get out of here, but then I got glued to the tv. It just happens sometimes, sports are awesome that way.

But I just saw this New York Times article about Randy Levine, the team President and resident evil Randy Newman lookalike of the New York Yankees. It hits close to home because back in the summer while I was in New York, I went to a hearing surrounding the financing behind Yankee Stadium. At it was this bullish and boisterous politician Richard Broadsky reaming into the a fellow who worked for the Bloomberg administration's economic arm about how they basically let the big, bad Yankees overstep multiple laws in financing their new stadium opening in the Bronx. To me, Brodsky was a little scary, but in a fake politician way.

Randy Levine is very clown-like, but more like the kind of clown that terrifies little children more often than not.

Really, Brodsky was even more pissed that Levine wasn't there. I think he saw it as a slight. Well, Brodsky and Levine had their public hearing. Here's a little snippet from the Times article to show you how it went:

The brusque Brodsky says he sees Levine as “someone who thinks the world responds to bullying and verbal violence.” After a public hearing at which Levine, 54, turned red while yelling at him, Brodsky said: “He couldn’t have been acting. His face was too purple.

Read the whole thing, it's a fascinating look at a guy, Randy Levine, who has a lot more power within the Yankee empire than people think. Because he's the guy who basically volunteers to look like the bad guy on nearly everything they do, the powers that be give much credence to what he thinks. Things like this make the guy and intriguing figure to me:
It’s tough love with Randy,” said Gerry Cardinale, a friend and managing director at Goldman Sachs, the investment bank that is a partner in YES and Legends. “He is brutally honest, has a very high demand for performance and little tolerance for not getting his way. He respects me because I won’t back down.”

I just kind of wonder what it's like to deal with someone like that on a daily basis.

No comments: